Get To The Point Be It Long Or Short
Online content does not necessarily need to be lengthy in order to be successful. An average person can read only 200 words per minute. Stop writing once you have expressed your ideas adequately in the post. A post is not be judged by the word count but the effectiveness in which the message is conveyed to the readers. Keep things short and to the point in order to keep your readers interested.
While it is necessary to have a blog post with minimum 300 words in order to perform well in search engine rankings but having too much will make readers lose their interest in the post. Filling articles with fluff to increase the word count will make you lose valuable audience. If you are writing a long post, you need to ensure that your opening paragraph is as interesting as possible. If you can make the readers curious through your introduction, they will continue reading the entire blog post because of curiosity. Many long posts are doing well online because of the inbound links and inbuilt SEO those posts carry with them.
There is a famous quote from Thomas Jefferson stating the same
The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do.
Let us compare pros and cons of Short vs Long posts:
- Do not need tweaking if the search engine algorithm changes in order to maintain the search engine rankings.
- Attracts relevant incoming links because of the rich and thorough content.
- Targeting of long tail keywords becomes easier in long blog posts.
- It helps build better credibility as a blogger. Top blog sites have regular posts ranging from 1500 to 2500 words.
- Most of the How To posts need to be long to cover the topic in depth.
- As a blogger, you can reference to certain examples in your long posts.
- Blogger has to write in a conversational tone in order to engage the readers. In order to strike conversation with readers you may need to involve a call to action. Long blog posts can serve the purpose in this case.
- As you share maximum relevant information in your post, convincing power will increase many fold. Thus, it is easy to build trust among your readers with long blog posts.
- Short posts are suitable for readers looking for quick solutions to their queries.
- Most of the readers have short attention span; short posts are suitable for such readers.
- Short posts can work better than long posts if the information provided is concise and to the point.
- Unnecessary information is removed which will attract and retain most of the readers.
- These posts are quicker and easier to complete. Unlike long posts that take a long time to complete, short posts are finished in less than an hour.
- For individual bloggers who update their blog multiple times a day short blog posts work very well.
- It saves time of both blogger and readers. The reader can read short blog posts quickly and attentively.
- Short blog posts because of their word span are likely to miss some information relevant to the topic.
Does size really matter?
It is what you do that matters most. If you decide to write long posts, please make sure you try to make it as interesting as possible in the beginning. Also, try to incorporate some pictures or graphs to explain relevant points. Make it as informative and likable as possible. For shorter posts try to provide as much precise information as possible. Write for your readers and not for the search engines.
I want to know your writing style. Do let me know your style of writing. I am waiting to learn more about it through your comments on this blog post.