Everyone wants to rank higher in Google rankings and get targeted traffic to their blog. Better rankings mean a lot in terms of traffic and money made from it. Most of the bloggers make mistake and attract links only to their homepage. In order to be successful you need to get traffic not only to your homepage but also to other pages of your blog. The method of linking to internal pages of a blog is deep linking. Deep linking is of two types external deep linking and internal deep linking. Let us look at them one by one.
External deep linking
External deep linking refers to attracting links from other websites to internal pages of your blog. Majority of bloggers attract links to their homepage and neglect other pages on their blog. Let us see importance of external deep linking in SEO.
1. Instead of only homepage receiving traffic from search engine, other pages also get traffic and hence overall traffic to your blog increases.
2. Each page can incorporate different set of keywords independent of other pages to attract links. This will help increase your boundary of keywords that is not possible if you focus only on your homepage SEO.
3. Overall domain authority gets a boost as ranking of internal pages increases because of back links.
Internal deep linking
Internal deep linking on the other hand refers to linking to internal pages of your blog from within the blog. Deep linking helps you to make sure that Google indexes all the pages on your site. For a site with lot of pages, some old pages are not included in index and internal deep link helps them to be included again. Let us see the benefits of internal deep linking in SEO.
1. Improves user experience, reducing the bounce rate and increasing number of pages per user by referring them to other pages on your website.
2. It helps boost other pages on your blog and thereby making all the pages have more or less same authority as your homepage.
3. It helps search engines understand important pages on your blog and treat them accordingly.
Sources of deep linking for your blog
Forums: While responding to questions in forums include link to a blog post relevant to the topic under discussion instead of using homepage of your blog.
Blog comments: Post comments relevant to the blog post and include link to the relevant blog post. Some comment plugins will automatically link to the latest blog post. In such cases, it is necessary to comment only on blog posts that are similar to your current blog post.
About me section in guest posts: Include link to the best blog post on your blog as it will help you get traffic and retain the readers. Do not link to the homepage of your blog, as the readers will lose their purpose and quickly exit your blog.
Email Signature: Most bloggers link to their homepage in the signature field of the email. Include link to the blog post that you think can attract lot of readers and convert them into loyal readers. Internal linking does not increase your domain authority but it will help you increase traffic and get more subscribers.
Bio on social networking websites: While writing bio on social networking websites include link to the post that displays your best work until date and possibly convince people to become loyal to your blog.
Deep linking helps raise authority of all the pages on your website. Thus, all the pages have chance to rank higher as compared to websites who do not practice deep linking. Do you practice deep linking on your blog? Please share your experience with deep linking on your blog.